+

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

First Japanese Sewing Week

Welcome to the First Japanese Sewing Week!

I love Japanese Sewing Books. This is because of their timeless patterns and clean aesthetic. I bought my first book, Yoshiko Tsukiori's "Girls Style Book", around 2 years ago and this is still one of my favorite sewing books. From this book, so far I made many Tunics A (here, here and here) and one Tunic C (here). 

Soon after, I bought Ruriko Yamana's "Happy Homemade: Sew Chic Kids" and from this book I made the lovely Ribbon Tied-blouse (here) and the Knee-length Shorts for my boy (not blogged yet). Love this book. 


After using these books, I realized that I needed to buy every Japanese sewing book available in English at Amazon.com so I purchased Yuki Araki's "Sew Sweet Handmade Clothes for Girls", Yoshiko Tsukiori's "Sewing for your Girls" and "Girly Style Wardrobe" and more recently, Akiko Mano's "Linen, Wool, Cotton Kids". 


On top of this, my sweet friend Rita gave me Yoshiko Tsukiori's "Stylish Dress Book". 


So, here's my precious collection!





The "Stylish Dress Book" has women patterns. Sewing for myself isn't something that I had in the plans when I started to sew. Yet, the idea started to grow in my mind last year, and I even tried two pdf patterns, but did not like how they turned out. 

Yet, when Sara first talked about the idea of organizing a Japanese Sewing Week, I thought I should give it a try and now I am so happy that I did!


So, enough bla bla bla: here is what I made for myself:




I made pattern F: Tunic dress with slit sleeves. 



This is a basic A line dress with two really cute features: the neckline and the slit sleeves. This can be worn as a dress or as a tunic like I did here. 




I am so happy with the result. This is exactly the type of garment that I use regularly. Because of my past bad experiences, I was really anxious to see how it would fit me and it is perfect! I made the tunic in size 8, which is the size I use for my RTW clothes. I did not make any changes or adjustments, except for the length which I shortened a little (around an inch). 


The instructions in the book are not very detailed. They basically, list the steps that need to be taken. Yet, it does have very helpful diagrams to help us with the more tricky parts. In this case, the construction of the tunic is very simple and for neckline and sleeves, the book has very clear diagrams. 



The only think that I dislike (which is common to all books and many magazines as well), is that the seam allowances are not included. It is fairly easy to add them, but it is a bit boring :-).


For the fabric, I used Dowry by Ana Maria Horner's for Westminster Fibers. I found this fabric on sale at the International Quilt Market and just couldn't resist to the print. Love it. The cotton is really soft, but I think is not very appropriate for apparel. Next time I will have to look for a different fabric. 


Anyways, I really enjoyed sewing for myself and I now I really want to try other (all) patterns of this book. 


Hope you liked it! 



Now, the good news: thanks to Tuttle Publishing and Urban Sew, our amazing sponsors, there is a giveaway running along with this tour! There will be three lucky winners. Each winner will win one of the following prizes: 

- One pack of 2 two Japanese Sewing books from Tuttle Publishing
- One pack of 2 two Japanese Sewing books from Tuttle Publishing
- A $40 fabric voucher from Urban Sew 

All you have to do is to try your chances by entering the Rafflecopter below. The more entries you validate the more chances you have to win!

The giveaway will be open from November 16 to November 25.

Good luck!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Now, if you haven't already, you must check what the other amazing bloggers are making in this series and get ready because you will be astonished… 


Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

22 comments:

Rita said...

LINDA! Fica-te um maximo! Espero que seja a primeira de muitas coisas no teu armario desse livro! ;)

Diana said...

Adoro!!! Fica-te tão bem! Estás linda! (e adoro o novo look do blog) :D Não pares de costurar para ti.

Hi. This is me. said...

Obrigada!! Agora quero fazer TUDO daquele livro! Tenho é de arranjar tecidos (só tenho coisas para a criançada) ;-) Obrigada uma vez mais por mo teres oferecido!!!

Hi. This is me. said...

Obrigada!! Fiquei mesmo contente! Agora quero fazer mais coisas! :-)

Andreia Salgueiro said...

OMG I LOVE IT! <3 Adoro a túnica é o máximo fica-te super bem! :D

Hi. This is me. said...

Obrigada!!! :-)

inesmelo said...

Gorgeous! Love it, perfect fit! Those sleeves are perfection and the fabric is beautiful, great colors! <3

Hi. This is me. said...

Thanks you Inês! :-)

ritapirolita said...

Love it. You look so beautifull, those colours look great on you :-)

Soraia said...

Obrigada Carla! Estou mesmo contente! Nunca pensei que conseguisse vestir alguma coisa feita por mim, mas ADORO a túnica! Beijinhos!

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said...

I've made this top too, but gave it to my mom. The shoulders ended up tight on me. Love yours!!

Hi, this is me. said...

Thank you Courtney! :-)

Krista said...

I'm so glad to see this tunic because I borrowed this book from the library last summer and I have this exactly same pattern traced :). I just don't know yet which fabric to use, I guess I haven't found the perfect one yet ;). I also fell in love with the sleeve details! Your tunic fits you really well and I love those bright colors!

Mie Brindle said...

You look amazing in this and it fits you so well! Way to go!

Soraia said...

Thank you Krista! Can't wait to see your version! ;-)

Soraia said...

Thank you Mie! :-)

aus_chick said...

I have a couple of Japanese books and really need to do more sewing from them! Sew little time....

Paula said...

Adoro essa túnica Soraia. Está o máximo! E fica-te mesmo bem. :) Também quero uma para mim. Também adoro o tecido. :)

fairiesbubblesco said...

Love it!! The tunic looks great on you and te fabric colours suits you so well! Well done!
Now I can't wait to see what you are going to make for yourself next time ;-)

sisforsewing said...

Gosto tanto! Fica-te tão, mas tão bem :)
Esta sérei ainda me arranja um problema (ou melhor, á minha carteira) - estou tão tentada com as peças dos "crescidos"...

Lightning McStitch said...

Well done you! The tunic fits you perfectly and the way you've styled it with jeans is spot on!

Tânia said...

Fica-te lindamente, gosto especialmente das mangas. E com isto começo a pensar seriamente em costurar para mim. Ando com uns moldes debaixo de olho, mas ainda não tive coragem... (nem tempo, sou muito uma "costureira" muito lenta �� )

Post a Comment